Friday, September 17, 2010

Go ahead...

Sidney was a constant source of amusement. At the same time, he was a filthy little beast, with filthy habits. Filthy to humans, that is. To him, it was just business as usual.

One of his things was cleaning himself, with gusto. He didn't care who, what, where. When the mood struck, he'd go to cleaning. By cleaning, I meaning licking himself in a most unmanly way. As a dog, such actions are perfectly acceptable. To humans, it was strictly X-rated stuff. People pay money to see such things, although I don't think anyone would pay to see Smid and his antics. If he was quiet about it, that would be one thing. Sidney was anything but quiet and anything but shy. He'd start going to town in any setting.

One such occasion was at Christmas time one year. My brother-in-law and I were sitting in the living room with a football game on and the kids playing in various parts of the house. Seeing as how Sidney was family, he was there also. Before long we noticed the noise of Sidney as he cleaned himself. There he was, in the living room in front of the TV. A person would've had to be deaf or blind not to notice. My brother-in-law, attempting to be funny, remarked, " I wish I could do that!" Not skipping a beat, I said, "Go ahead, but I think he might bite you!"

It was the old, I-think-he-might-bite-you joke and my brother-in-law fell right into it. Ya gotta take your shots when you can get 'em. You never know when the opportunity will come again.

No comments:

Post a Comment