Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Put a handle on it...

When a person signs up to blog, we're required to come up with a handle to identify ourselves. That can be a head scratch-er. Do we assign something to ourselves at random? Do we use what someone else might call us? Surely we wouldn't want to do that. Some things we're called can be unkind or not-too-flattering. Some could be unprintable and violate site rules or rules of decorum. If I was to use any of the terms of endearment from any of my exes (who incidentally, all live in Texas), I might get run out of here.

What I did was settle on the handle, "Delectable Dave". No, I'm not really "delectable", there's a story behind it. It involves my misspent youth.

Back in the day, I was a cigarette smoker. My brand of choice was "Doral". I have no idea if it's still a brand or not, since I've long since left my smoking days behind. Back then, the running joke or banter was that I was going to smoke a "delicious, delightful, delectable Doral", as if those adjectives described what I was smoking. Really, any cigarette is far from that, Dorals included. Every once in a while, I'd say, "delicious, delightful, delectable Dave", just to change things up. Maybe it was the beer talking. After all, it was my misspent youth. I'm not always proud of it, but it was where I was at the time. Some of that stuff I haven't lived down to this very day. Perhaps this blog thing can be therapeutic. Maybe helpful in exorcising some of those old demons.

Anyway, like it or not, on here, I'm "Delectable Dave". Deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment